Friday 9 January 2009

On University Lecturers...

I do wonder where my £3145 a year goes.

Take Secondary and even Primary school education, the teachers follow a curriculum, they are routinely assessed and monitored, with regular "Staff Training Days" (Read: Day off school,) OFSTED inspections and the like. I really appreciated my secondary school education, the teachers at The Latymer School, Edmonton, really were top notch (Ten pounds... Please.)

Then I arrived at university.

Where everything went terrifically wrong, I hate to say it, but, with one exception (Kudos Mr Rickayzen,) our lecturers are absoutely terrible, I teach myself more in my free time than my lecturers do! I had to call a good friend of mine to teach me Taylor and Maclaurin series over the phone because my lecturer is too much of an imbecile to teach it properly.

And no, I'm not just slow.

The general consensus across many London unis (UCL, Kings, City/CASS, Queens and Imperial), seems to be that university lecturers suck, and I find it laughable that I actually have to start paying for this useless series of lectures.

Its funny how the world works isnt it?

Maybe university isnt just about learning things relevant to your degree. Perhaps its more important that people who go to university learn one important thing: you aren't spoon fed your whole life.

And I guess I'm just picking up on that.

No picture today, I'm too busy learning discrete random variables - because my lecturer didnt teach it to me very well.

Dom

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All universities are like that..
I found it equally hard since I went to one of the most spoon fed schools in England.
It prepares you for life, you'll get used to it :)
Just read lots.